Search This Blog

Monday, June 2, 2014

Red Savina Pepper Review


As a followup to the previous article on Hot Sauce, the day after an unknown pepper was brought in. It is a Red Savina pepper (350,000-580,000 Scoville) variety of the Habanero. It is rated on the Scoville chart hotter than the Scotch Bonnet (100,000-350,000 Scoville) and below the Ghost pepper aka Bhut Jolokia - Naga Jolokia (About 1,000,000 Scoville).

Pop it in my mouth like if it were nothing, like a cherry with 350,000 to 580,000 Scoville(s) of heat behind it. Now, I haven't done this in a long time (over ten years), pop a whole Habanero pepper and just chew on it with the rind, seeds, veins and all, well I tossed the stem.

I give it thirty seconds and nothing, I'm waiting because I know the heat will be there in another minute, BAM! It's stinging thirty seconds after the first thirty seconds of nothing. It is like a someone brushed some lighter fluid around my mouth and lit it with matches. And it intensifies gradually and stays on the tongue, on the roof and around the mouth for about five minutes even after drinking a few cups of water and a cup of milk. I had let it sit for two minutes of burning trying to be a tough manly man, I finally gave way and drank those few glasses of water and a cup of milk to dissipate the scorching feeling. The heat is like a bell curve on a graph gradually going up and stays stinging for a little over five minutes before it goes down but afterwards my eyes were wide awake. The whole ordeal is ten to fifteen minutes of whoohoo! During, my eyes were a little red and so was my face, I had watery eyes.


Flavor: Peppery Gas
Heat: 5 Points
Affect: Over five minutes of a burning linger

No comments:

Post a Comment