Search This Blog

Monday, April 21, 2014

Superfoods

I was reading up on health. Particularly the benefits of consuming Acai berries because Acai is the new health rave. Acai berries contain more or less (depending on what form they come in) polyphenols, amino acids (proteins), fatty acids (good essential fat), one of the highest providers of antioxidants (like Potassium) and other nutrients. Heck, to top it off, naturally sourced are sugarless. I think it can even make you fly. How do Acai berries taste? I wouldn't know because I read that once harvested they lose their nurtitiion content so fast that they have to be mashed down as the locals eat them, to be exported they are frozen or preserved, maybe even processed. But the organic frozen paste bars (which I assume taste the same as the berries for the paste is just the mashed down version) have little taste/flavor. The Acai mash has no sweetness and no tartness unlike many berries like the strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, etc... I only detected a very slight flavor note and buttery texture.

Then I came across the Goji berry. I never heard of the Goji berry before until lately. Just like the Acai berry, it's only become a recent health rave, in the United States that is, along the lines of Chia seeds, Maca root, Flax seeds, Spirulina and the like, well to my ears anyway. Coming across images of the Goji berry, they looked familiar. Ah! indeed these are it. What's it? These little red fruit like berries I would find in soup my father had been making since I was a little kid. Reading up on the origins of how far Goji berries date back: thousands of years and I assume that's where my father got the usage in cooking them from, back from the ancestors that passed down using the Goji berries in cooking to sustain health.

I was also reading the Bloomberg article on 'Superfood'.

Similar nutritious values go for the Goji berries. My father has incorporated Goji berries in a few dishes all my life. I had no care or knew of what these berries were until the marketing made them a 'Superfood'. I always referred to them as the given Chinese name my father called them, not "Goji", I guess that's the dubbed American name for them. He always told me they were good for me and particularly good for the eyes. I just always thought of them as simple little football shaped... not veggies... not roots... not spices... not animal but fruit in soup and a few other dishes. Now onto my hot drink with a leaf in it. That also has antioxidants.


These photos are taken by my own camera.
They are not copyrighted but if you do use one, ask me.


No comments:

Post a Comment